Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is electronic tooth brush better than regular? How?

All of the other posters have given good info., esp. with regard to flossing.





However, I strongly beg to differ with them on effectiveness of the electric brush.





I have a lot of cavities, always have had--just can't stay away from the sweets...lol.





I've used two brands of electric brushes as an adult, the most recent being a Sonicare.





From the first time I ever used an electric brush, a good 25 years ago, my checkups made my dentist rave twice a year about the status of my teeth and gums (he didn't know I was using an electric brush).





Subsequently, new dentists and hygeinists have also been thrilled and raved when they first examine me. They've questioned me closely about how often I brush, how many times a day I floss.....





And I assure you that I have no doubt that it's not just about my being an extremely religious flosser. I floss 95% of the time after every meal, every snack. And, I didn't get all that big on flossing until a few years BEFORE I started using an electic brush.





I tell everyone I know, everyone who asks, everyone who cares: Get an electric toothbrush. I don't care if it's a $5.00 model from the drugstore. Save up if you must for a quality brush, Braun, Sonicare bc they're not cheap, but save!





Think carefully about what style you might like best--for example, the Braun's heads and handles are waaay too small for my comfort. Otherwise, just do it!Is electronic tooth brush better than regular? How?
Two things in manual tooth-brushing to be considered: the tooth brush selection and the method/ technic of effective brushing.


On the top of this is the way you hold the tooth brush regardless of the technic will determine the pressure to your tooth and gum.


These are the potential pitfalls. For this I prefer electronic tooth brush.





In electronic tooth brush we need to choose as well as in manual tooth brush. My best pick is Oral B- Braun 3D product that produces a steady 40,000 RPM oscillations. It simplify the process, esp in method of brushing.





Either way, we still need to make use of dental floss for both brushes cannot reach the interdental areas perfectly.


Hope this will answer your question and happy tooth brushing!Is electronic tooth brush better than regular? How?
no,here is some stuff i found from the internet





Independent research finds that most electric toothbrushes are no more effective than the manual variety. The exception is the ';rotation-oscillation';-models, including many of the electrical brushes in Braun's Oral B-series, but even this brush performs only marginally better than a regular manual brush. The research done indicates that the way the brushing is performed is of a higher importance than the choice of brush. For certain patients with limited manual dexterity however, dentists strongly feel that electric toothbrushes can be especially beneficial [7]. Of course, built into any conclusion in this area is the assumption that persons using a manual toothbrush will, in fact, brush their teeth in an approved manner and for a suitably long period.
While I find that my Sonicare does a terrific job in cleaning my teeth, there really are no benefits to an electric toothbrush unless you have dexterity problems and are unable to brush properly on your own.





One thing it helps with is the time. It is programmed to brush for 2 minutes beeping every 30 seconds so that you can change quadrants. (your mouth is divided into four quadrants)





Most people do not brush properly on their own. The proper way to brush is to have your soft bristled brush pointed at a 45 degree angle towards your gum line. Going in a small circular motion, making sure to brush your entire mouth.





All the brushing in the world will not be sufficient, however without flossing. No toothbrush can get in between teeth or below the gumline to remove debris. Flossing is the key to good oral hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment