Friday, January 8, 2010

Do you brush your dog's teeth? Are we supposed to do it everyday like the ads say? ?

I have an elderly dog, whose teeth I only brushed sporadically. They are now rotting, and I can't afford to have them professionally cleaned. It feels crappy to not be able to help your dog. So I'd say, brush the teeeth if the dog will let you,. It will make both of you feel beeter in the long run.Do you brush your dog's teeth? Are we supposed to do it everyday like the ads say? ?
Brushing a dog's teeth is actually bad for them. It wears away the enamel and other protective layers. If your dog is fed a good quality dry food and/or has bones and other hard material to eat, it's teeth will be fine. Bones and dry kibble wear away the tarter on a dog's teeth. They also sell special bones for them to chew on. Brushing is recommended once in a while, but only as needed. My shepherd is 18 months old, and I have NEVER needed to brush his teeth. He has no tarter or plaque build up, and his teeth are whiter then mine. I feed him very high quality food and treats, and he has plenty of bones to chew on. I don't give him canned or wet food, and I rarely give him soft treats.





Wild animals live perfectly healthy long lives without losing their teeth, yet dogs at 10 years old have rotting teeth that are falling out. Wonder why? The best thing for an animal is the more natural, the better.Do you brush your dog's teeth? Are we supposed to do it everyday like the ads say? ?
no you dont have to at all. sometimes its good for them depending on their diet. teachers like to use the example of eating peanut butter your whole life and never brushing. but if they eat dry dog food that helps clear tarter and buildup and stuff. if their teeth are bad enough they can get cleaned by a vet
I don't but I think I should start 'cause his breath is really getting smelly





There are some bones/treats that apparently clean your dog's teeth


but I'm not sure whether they work or not


But beats holding down a struggling dog and trying to brush his teeth
I brush my dog's teeth but, admittedly, sometimes I forget. I manage to get it done about 4-6 nights a week. My 5 year old dog's teeth have very little tartar build-up, and her breath doesnt stink.
Three times a week is sufficient, and yeah its best to brush to be honest. It does make a lot of difference to the dog when it starts to get older.
yes i brush my dogs teeth like once every two weeks. They actually make special toothbrushes and toothpaste for dogs. And no you do not have to do it everyday haha
I have a special doggie tooth brush and paste I use on my Shih Tzu once or twice a week. It's not completely necessary to brush their teeth every day or twice a day.
Not with Colgate its bad for them. My vet said 3 times a week. With special dog toothpaste.
S but they will get seperate brushes and tooth pastes....
I don't do it every other day or whatever. Like once a month :D Really well though. My dogs teeth are perfectly fine
special dog toothpaste every other day

No comments:

Post a Comment